Thursday, June 24, 2021

Interchangeable Circular Needles by Denise – They Rock!

In a previous post, I sang the praises of circular knitting needles.  This post is about a sub-category of circular needles – interchangeable.  For those who are not familiar with them, interchangeable needles come in a set with several different sized needle tips and lengths of cable.  The needles attach to the cable by either screws or snaps.  You can easily make the exact size/length needle needed for your project.  Instead of having five different circular needles of the same size with various lengths, one set will make them all (just not at the same time). 

There are a lot of brands out there – Lykke, HiyaHiya, Addi and ChiaoGoo are well-know names.  Due to the cost, I have only tried two brands.  One I love and one I did not care for (I will not talk about them).  I am going to talk about why I love my Denise interchangeable needles.

 

About 20 years ago, I was looking to get some circular needles.  I was new to knitting and wanted to get the best tools I could without spending a fortune.  During my research, I found mention of interchangeable knitting needles in a forum post.  Realizing that option could save me money, I started looking at brands.  I easily found the Boye brand at my big-box craft stores but they didn’t get great reviews.  On a different forum thread, I found a recommendation for Denise.  I had never heard of them, but several people sang their praises.  My LYS did not carry them, so I found my set on Ebay (Denise did not have a retail site at the time).  I loved them from the very first time I project and now own two complete sets.  I also have a set of their interchangeable crochet hooks and their travel knit set.

 

Pastels Knit - Supports Breast Cancer Research!
Why do I love them?  Several reasons.  First, the needles are easy to connect to the cable, require no tools and rarely come apart while stitching.  In 20 years, it has only happened to me twice.  I think both times were due to user error locking in the needle.  They are made of a plastic resin, so they are smooth but not slippery.  They are warm to the touch and very quiet.  I have yet to wake my husband from a nap while I am knitting with Denise.  A standard set has 4” needles from US5/3.75mm to 15/10mm and six cables Six cords: 5” 9” 12” 14” 16” 19” (13, 23, 30, 36, 41 and 48 cm).  It also comes with four buttons to make a cable a stitch holder or a flexible straight needle.  There are two connectors so you can connect two cords for a custom length.  It comes in a hard-shell case with a slot for everything.  From their website, this set is $69.95, and they are also available on Amazon, much more affordable that some of the other more famous brands.  My two sets are older, so the needles are white, and the cables are a light aqua blue.  The new sets have color choices – the standard blue (white needles, dark blue cables, blue case), Brights (primary colored needles, red cables, blue case) or Pastels (pastel color needles, pink cables and case – they will give $5 to cancer research with this kit).  Plus, they have lots of other needles, cables, and accessories.


Crochet Kit
The crochet kit has 4 5/8” hooks in sizes (one each) F5/3.75mm to 19/15mm, 7 cords: 2 each 3” and 5" (8 and 13cm) 9", 12" and 16" (23, 30, 41 cm), four end buttons (turn any cord into a Tunisian/Afghan hook or stitch holder), and two extenders for cord-to-cord connections.  It also has a hard-shell case.  These kits come in blue (grey needles, dark blue cables) or the Brights and Pastels (now with lavender cables), all in light blue cases so it’s easy to tell them apart from the knitting kit.  They are priced at 64.95 for the set.  Lots of accessories for crochet, too.  I don’t use these as often because I don’t do a lot of Tunisian projects.  Being able to select the cable length is great for Tunisian because you won’t have a very long needle for a narrow project, saving weight and making it easier to stitch.

 

Are there any drawbacks?  A few.  The needle ends have a moderate taper, so I’ve had issues when doing lace patterns that require knit 3 or 4 (or more) stitches together.  It is possible for the needle to discolor from a yarn’s dye.  My size 5 needles from one set are teal colored from a shawl project.  It doesn’t bother me, and I’ve used the needles on other projects with no discoloration issues on the lighter colored yarns.  One cable had a tiny rough spot near the connector.  I look a nail file and a couple of light strokes and the rough spot was gone.  If you are a person who has a lot of WIPs, it is very possible to run out of needles/cables to hold all your projects (ask me how I know).  I overcame that issue by limiting the number of WIPs I have at any one time.

 

All in all, I highly recommend the Denise brand.  Several of my knitting friends purchased them based on my recommendation and they are also very happy with them.  Full disclosure – I am not getting paid by anyone for this endorsement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment