Thursday, August 19, 2021

Find the Mistake!

Working on my afghan last week, I was dismayed to discover that I made make a mistake across 4 stitches about 14” down from my current row.  I had knit when I should have purled.  Once I found the mistake, my next step was to decide what to do about it. 

 

My first thought was to undo the stitches and reknit back up.  I quickly rejected that idea for a couple of reasons.  First, between my current row and the problem row, there was a 6” section of stitches with lots of yarn overs.  I know it’s a lack of skill/practice on my part but I can never successfully stitch back up so you can’t see it. 

 

The next option was frogging all 14” and just reknitting it.  Although I am willing to do it if necessary, I hate the thoughts of losing all those hours of work.  Especially since I’m also dealing with project boredom right now. 

 

I decided to see if I could hide the offending stitches with a little bit of yarn.  Since the mistake was only noticeable on one side of the fabric, I decided to give this idea a try.  Basically, I took a small section of yarn and wrapped the stitches to mimic the purl bump that should have been there.  Foolishly, I did not take a before picture.  You can see from the picture, my idea was successful.  I will film a video showing exactly how I did this fix and post it to my YouTube Channel, Yarn Skills.  To my eyes, the mistake is easy to spot in this picture but on the afghan, it is next to impossible to see.  I will never be completely happy knowing the mistake is there but I can live with it.   


 



No comments:

Post a Comment