Thursday, May 27, 2021

Circular Needles – Why I Love Them

As any serious knitter knows, there are many types of knitting needles, straights, circulars, double-pointed and variations of these basics made from wood, metal, and plastics.  How is a new knitter supposed to choose needles?  Here’s my two cents. 

For new knitters, I always suggest that they skip the straight needles completely and just buy circular needles.  Why?  Because they can do anything a straight needle can plus more.  Straight needles are great for flat projects that are not too wide but circular needles are dual purpose.  Use them for flat or circular knitting.  They have ergonomic advantages like spreading weight of the project better, allowing you to rest your work on your lap.  This results in less strain on your hands, wrists and shoulders, serious considerations for avid knitters.  Project weight can be substantial when working on large projects like afghans.  On straight needles, the changes in weight distribution as you work can impact your stitches, making it hard to keep them uniform.  When you stop working, you can slide all your work on to the cable, no worries about your work sliding off the needles so no needle caps are needed.  Personally, I find them easier to store and I never have to worry about losing one of my needles (it has happened to me with straight needles). 

 

When shopping for circulars, what type to buy?  They are so many options and even more opinions.  The most common materials are steel, aluminum, plastic, bamboo, and wood.  Personally, all my needles are either aluminum or plastic resin (Denise Interchangeable).  I find that these two materials give me a comfortable knitting experience will all types of yarns.  Good quality wood needles can be pricey and since I don’t really need them, I can’t justify the cost (yet).  In the past, I’ve had issues with bamboo spoons splintering or breaking so I’m not overly inclined to try knitting needles.  Between the aluminum and plastic needles, I tend to prefer the plastic ones.  They are light weight, warm to the touch and very quiet.  My aluminum hooks have longer, tapered points so they are better when a pattern call for knitting 3 or more stitches together or lace. 

 

As for what size to buy, it depends on what type of yarn you are going to use.  For every size of needles, there are multiple lengths of cord.  Since there are so many options out there, I use interchangeable knitting needles as much as possible.  More about them in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment