Thursday, April 1, 2021

Fruit Garden - Waiting Patiently?

 In 2020, an online Craft store called Dreamores (in the US and the UK) sponsored a crochet along for an afghan pattern called Fruit Garden designed by Jane Crowfoot.  She is an amazing designer has created some very exciting patterns.  Just looking at her afghan designs, there are several that would have be happily pulling out my hook right this minute. 

Lighter Color Scheme
Darker Color Scheme









Unfortunately, due to work demands, I did not think my schedule would allow me to keep up with the pace of the crochet along.  I did not buy the yarn kit that went with the project because I figured I could buy the yarn later when I know my schedule would allow.  Big mistake.  Dreamores has been sold out of the yarn kit for months in both color ways.  At first, I wanted to work up the darker version but now I will be happy with either color scheme.  I’ve tried to put together my own kit by buying the yarns separately, but they are always out of stock on some of the colors.  I’m worried that if I buy only some of the colors, either the colors I need or the entire line of yarn will be discontinued.  The darker version used a yarn called Naturals Bamboo-Cotton that I don’t see on their website anymore.  I have signed up for a notification of when the yarn kits are back in stock, but I am afraid I missed the boat. 

This pattern is so unique, using squares unlike anything I’ve ever seen before.  I love the Arts & Crafts period influence.  The pattern is based on The Melsetter Hangings, embroideries that were designed by May Morris, the second daughter of the famous William Morris.  To be perfectly honest, I’m afraid of this pattern, worried that I won’t be able successfully stitch it.  It is rated as an intermediate project, but it looks much harder to me.  The finished blanket is rather small; the lighter one coming in at 50.5” square and the darker one at only 44” square.  Even so, I love it so much that I’m willing to take the risk. 

I am also toying with the idea of buying another brand of DK yarn and making it bigger by about 50%.  I need to do some math to figure out how many more blocks I can add to the center to make the border blocks line up correctly (or close to it).  If the yarn kits don’t become available within the next few months, I will probably go this route.  Updates to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment