Thursday, March 25, 2021

Exciting Discovery

While preparing my earlier post about my Mon Tricot 800 Stitch Dictionary (published 1963), I discovered that they had a 1300 Stitch Dictionary (published 1979).  I tracked down a used copy on Amazon and ordered that bad boy.  The 800 version has stitches that I have never seen anywhere else.  Although I know there will be a lot of repeats with the new book, the potential for up to 500 unique stitches was impossible to resist. 

I did some research trying to find out more about Mon Tricot.  It was a french knitting magazine that does not seem to be in business anymore.  They started coming out with stitch books translated into English.  There are several versions with varying numbers of stitches.  I’ve heard rumors about a 1,500 stitch version but it does not have a crochet section, so I’m not interested in that one.

One word of caution.  These books were translated in the UK and use terms like wool instead of yarn.  The terminology is very different with crochet (sc is the US is a dc in the UK).  If you buy one of these books, make sure you know if it uses US or UK terminology.  I keep a piece of paper in my books with a guide to the US vs. UK terminology – problem solved. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment