Friday, May 30, 2014

Picture Perfect?


You’ve just completed your project.  You breathe a sigh of satisfaction and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment…..until you compare your end result with the picture on the pattern.  Your project looks completely different.  Why? 

 After years of helping new knitters and crocheters figure out “what went wrong”, I have compiled a list of the most common reasons for disappointing results.  They are (in no particular order):

1.       Gauge – there is a reason every pattern tells you to work a gauge swatch before you start on your project.  Adjusting your needle/hook size to match the pattern will help ensure that your project matches the dimensions of the pattern.  I am a tight stitcher and can easily work up a swatch that is bullet-proof.  To counteract my stitch style, I regularly have to increase my needle/hook size up two sizes.  Yes, two!  If I use the hook/needle size called for in the pattern, I end up with a significantly smaller item that is much stiffer than the designer intended.  Work your gauge swatch.  The investment of time now will save much heartache and frustration later.

2.       Yarn Selection – Switching out yarn is a fact of the stitcher’s life.  So many of the yarns called for in patterns are expensive.  If you are like me, you want to use up your stash as much as possible.  When substituting yarns, you must pay attention to the gauge.  A lace pattern worked in a fine DK will look very much different if worked in a thick worsted weight.  Yarn texture is a big factor, too.  A fuzzy or textured yarn will not show off the fancy stitches the pattern uses.  Fiber content can definitely affect in how your finished product behaves.  For example, cotton yarn is stiff and lacks elasticity, nylon yarn is strong but slightly stretchy, acrylic has good elasticity and holds up well to frequent washings.  Understanding the size, fiber content and texture of the pattern yarn will help you make good choices when selecting a substitute yarn.  On the other hand, don’t be afraid to experiment with a totally different type of yarn - gauge swatches are a great way to try something new.  You might love the results.  Years ago, I used a crochet thread edging pattern on an afghan made with worsted weight yarn.  The results were unique and very beautiful. 

3.       Pattern Error – Believe it or not, sometimes, there are errors in the pattern.  The publishers and designers work very hard to make sure their instructions are 100% correct but no one is perfect.  Fortunately, this is a rare occurrence.  If you suspect there is an error on your pattern, do a quick Google search and see if an update is available.  It might be from the publisher or a posting on a forum from another stitcher. 

4.       Personal Style – A pattern is a guide, not the law.  Minor adjustments to the pattern that accommodate your personal stitching style are completely OK.  For example, if I chain 3 for a turn on a double crochet row, I end up with an unsightly bulge on the end of my rows.  Most of the time, I only chain 2 so keep my ends super straight.  I also like neat edges on my knitted items so if the pattern allows, I cast on a couple of extra stitches so I can use the slip-1-stitch at the beginning of the row method to give me the nice, neat edge.  I will comment more on stitch and pattern adjustments in a future post.

5.       Stitching technique – even if you use the same yarn, match the gauge and follow the pattern faithfully, your finished project will never look just like the pattern example.  Every stitcher’s work is unique, just like their signature.  Embrace your style and rejoice that no one will ever have a scarf (sweater, hat, etc.) just like yours.  This uniqueness is part of what makes knitting and crocheting such a joy.

What other obstacles have you run into when trying to get your project picture perfect?

No comments:

Post a Comment